Sun, Jul 16|
Biscayne Bay's Ghost Trap Rodeo! - Sun. July 16th!
Sure to be a Blast! - This is the Ghost Trap Rodeo tournament targeting our Biscayne Bay fishery's CLOSED trapping season. This is when you and your friends can help us clean up lost and abandoned 'ghost' traps which catch and kill marine life for years unchecked. Free! - Lunch! - GREAT PRIZES!
Time & Location
Jul 16, 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Coral Gables, 9610 Old Cutler Rd, Coral Gables, FL 33156, USA
About the Event
The Ghost Trap Rodeo marine debris collection tournament sends anglers, boaters, and paddlers into the fishery for a fun 4-hour competition to find and remove derelict crab traps (during the CLOSED trapping season) and fishing equipment which have been lost or abandoned by anglers. This is critical because ghost traps and gear can damage sea grass habitat and because traps continue to catch and kill marine life, which dies in the trap and lures a new crop of crabs, fish, and rays right behind - for years.
In return for YOUR help, the #GhostTrapRodeo offers up awesome prizes from our industry partners, including but not limited to Mercury Marine, Power-Pole, MirrOlure, and Temple Fork Outfitters; and serves a free catered lunch to all participants.
Since 2018, Ocean Aid 360-led Ghost Trap Rodeo events have hauled in over 180,000 pounds of derelict traps and gear from coastal fisheries all over Florida and the Bahamas, releasing tens of thousands of marine animals in the process. At Biscayne Bay we'll be conducting our popular event with our partners at Florida's Dept. of Environmental Protection, Friends of Biscayne Bay, The Miami Foundation, Miami Waterkeeper, and more.
How are traps located? - During this CLOSED trapping season event, all buoyed crab traps (not baitfish traps) are deemed derelict by Florida Fish and Wildlife and will be removed from the fishery. Additionally, during the event, non-buoyed traps can be located by 'sight-fishing' for them along shallows and shorelines.
- Participation in this Ghost Trap Rodeo event is totally FREE (though donations to Ocean Aid 360 are gladly accepted).
- Particpants will be taught to identify the difference between crab traps (derelict) and pinfish traps (non-derelict) before departure.
- All are welcomed: Commercial anglers, recreational anglers, non-angling boaters/paddlers/beachcombers; and youth...we need to see you out there!
- Participants are invited to begin "scouting" local waters before the event occurs. This is JUST LIKE a (friendly) flats tournament.
- Event will include 4hrs on-water search for ghost traps and debris, plus approximately one hour afterward for lunch, prizes, and trailer loading.
Thanks for considering your participation in this FUN event for a healthy Biscayne Bay fishery, free of marine debris. We hope you'll head right over and register!
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns. - Thanks!