Sat, Sep 09|
Location is TBD
Indian River Lagoon's Marine Debris Cleanup Tournament
Join us Sept. 9 (@Titusville) and/or Sept. 10 (@Cocoa) --- This friendly competition to clean up the Lagoon is FREE to enter, fun for all ages, and you'll receive lunch, swag, and a shot at great prizes for top collectors.
Time & Location
Sep 09, 8:00 AM – Sep 10, 12:00 PM
Location is TBD
About the Event
ON SATURDAY 9/9 @ Marina Park Boat Ramp (Titusville) from 8am to noon
ON SUNDAY 9/10 @ Lee Wenner Park Boat Ramp (Cocoa) from 8am to noon
This Ocean Aid 360 Marine Debris Rodeo tournament sends anglers, boaters, paddlers, and shoreline walkers into the lagoon for a fun 4-hour competition to find and remove plastics and other manmade litter. This is critical because marine debris can damage natural habitat, entangle or kill marine life, and negatively impact the coastal economy - for years.
In return for YOUR help, this #MarineDebrisRodeo offers up awesome prizes from our fishing industry partners, and serves a free lunch to all participants.
Since 2018, Ocean Aid 360-led cleanups have hauled in over 250,000 pounds of derelict fishing gear and plastics from coastal fisheries all over Florida and the Bahamas, releasing tens of thousands of marine animals in the process. At Indian River Lagoon we'll be conducting this popular event with our partners at MyFWC and Current Problems. On Saturday, the event will occur at Marina Park Boat Ramp, and on Sunday, the event will occur at Lee Wenner Park Boat Ramp.
How is marine debris located? - Plastics and other manmade litter can be located by 'sight-fishing' for items along shallows and shorelines. When hunting debris, we consider the wind direction, tidal flows, natural catchment areas, and human hotspots to determine where litter will be found. We'll teach you how!
- Participation in this Marine Debris Rodeo event is totally FREE (though donations to Ocean Aid 360 are gladly accepted).
- Participants will be taught basic safety measures and receive a Rodeo Help-Line phone number before departure.
- All are welcomed: Commercial anglers, recreational anglers, non-angling boaters/paddlers/beachcombers; and youth...we need to see you out there!
- Participants are invited to begin "scouting" local waters before the event occurs.
- Event will include 4hrs on-water search for marine debris, plus approximately 45 minutes afterward for lunch, prizes, and trailer loading.
Thanks for considering your participation in this FUN event for a healthy Indian River Lagoon fishery, free of marine debris. We hope you'll head right over and register!
Please email email@example.com with any questions or concerns. - Thanks!