Wed, Sep 13|
Naval Air Station Key West
Key Haven's Marine Debris Cleanup Tournament
Join us on Sept. 13th, 14th, and/or 15th for YOUR chance to WIN big, with FREE registration, lunch and prizes; while helping us clean up an FWC-targeted marine debris HOTSPOT.
Time & Location
Sep 13, 2023, 8:00 AM – Sep 15, 2023, 12:00 PM
Naval Air Station Key West, 5710 US-1, Naval Air Station Key West, FL 33040, USA
About the Event
Join us for 1, 2, or all 3 event days! - WEDNESDAY 9/13 through FRIDAY 9/15 @ Beach Weekend Marina (Key Haven) from 8am to noon daily
This Ocean Aid 360 Marine Debris Rodeo tournament sends anglers, boaters, paddlers, and beachcombers to shorelines surrounding Key Haven Boat Ramp for a fun 4-hour competition to find and remove plastics and other manmade litter. This cleanup is critical because marine debris can damage natural habitat, entangle or kill marine life, and negatively impact the coastal economy - for years. In return for YOUR help, this #MarineDebrisRodeo offers up great giveaways and prizes from our fishing industry partners, and serves a free lunch to all participants.
Since 2018, Ocean Aid 360-led cleanups have hauled in over 250,000 pounds of derelict fishing gear and plastics from coastal fisheries all over Florida and the Bahamas, releasing tens of thousands of marine animals in the process. At Key Haven we'll be conducting this popular event with our partners at MyFWC and Reef Relief. Volunteers are invited to sign-up for one, two, or all three days of this important cleanup.
How is marine debris located? - Plastics and other manmade litter can be located by 'sight-fishing' for items along shallows and shorelines. When hunting debris, we consider the wind direction, tidal flows, natural catchment areas, and human hotspots to determine where litter will be found. We'll teach you how!
- Participation in this Marine Debris Rodeo event is totally FREE (though donations to Ocean Aid 360 are gladly accepted).
- Participants will be taught basic safety measures and receive a Rodeo Help-Line phone number before departure.
- All are welcomed: Commercial anglers, recreational anglers, non-angling boaters/paddlers/beachcombers; and youth...we need to see you out there!
- Participants are invited to begin "scouting" local waters before the event occurs.
- Event will include 4hrs on-water search for marine debris, plus approximately 30 minutes afterward for lunch, prizes, and trailer loading.
Thanks for considering your participation in this FUN event for a healthy Lower Keys fishery, free of marine debris. We hope you'll head right over and register!
Please email email@example.com with any questions or concerns. - Thanks!