Sat, Jul 15|
Tampa Bay's Ghost Trap Rodeo! - Two Locations: Ft. DeSoto Ramp or Belleair Ramp
The one you've been waiting for: This is the Ghost Trap Rodeo tournament targeting our Tampa Bay fishery's CLOSED trapping season. This is when you and your friends can help us clean up lost and abandoned 'ghost' traps which catch and kill marine life for years unchecked. Free! - Lunch! - PRIZES!
Time & Location
Jul 15, 2023, 9:00 AM – 1:30 PM
St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg, FL 33715, USA
About the Event
The Ghost Trap Rodeo marine debris collection tournament sends anglers, boaters, and paddlers into the fishery for a 4-hour competition to find and remove derelict crab traps and fishing equipment which have been lost or abandoned by anglers. This is critical because ghost traps and gear can damage sea grass habitat and because traps continue to catch and kill marine life, which dies in the trap and lures a new crop of crabs, fish, and rays right behind - for years.
In return for your help, the #GhostTrapRodeo offers up great prizes from our industry partners, including but not limited to Mercury Marine, Power-Pole, and MirrOlure; and serves a free catered lunch to all participants.
Since 2018, Ocean Aid 360-led Ghost Trap Rodeo events have hauled in over 163,000 pounds of derelict traps and gear from coastal fisheries all over Florida and the Bahamas, releasing tens of thousands of marine animals in the process. At Tampa Bay we conduct the popular event with our partners at Tampa Bay Watch and Clearwater Marine Aquarium.
How are traps located? - During this CLOSED trapping season event, all buoyed crab traps (not pinfish traps) are deemed derelict by Florida Fish and Wildlife and will be removed from the fishery. Additionally, during the event, non-buoyed traps can be located by 'sight-fishing' for them along shallows and shorelines.
- Participation in this Ghost Trap Rodeo event is totally FREE (though donations are gladly accepted).
- Particpants will be taught to identify the difference between crab traps (derelict) and pinfish traps (non-derelict) before departure.
- All are welcomed: Commercial anglers, recreational anglers, non-angling boaters/paddlers/beachcombers; and youth...we need to see you out there!
- Teams may choose from either our Ft. DeSoto location or our Belleair Boat Ramp location (required to notify OA360 of your choice via registration page).
- Participants are invited to begin "scouting" local waters before the event occurs. This is JUST LIKE a (friendly) flats tournament.
- Event will include 4hrs on-water search for ghost traps and debris, plus approximately one hour afterward for lunch, prizes, and trailer loading.
Thanks for considering your participation in this FUN event for a healthy Tampa Bay fishery, free of marine debris. We hope you'll head right over and register!
Please email email@example.com with any questions or concerns. - Thanks!